1. Welcome to Kittyradio!

Whether this is your first visit to Kittyradio or you're back after a long absence, I hope that these recent updates will encourage you to stick around and help us breathe some life back into this special place. As the site was recently offline for a month, we could really use everyones help to pick up the momentum again. Please take a minute to register, post a new thread, or reply to some of your favorite topics.

With your help, I know we can make Kittyradio better than ever. I have started a thread in the Member Support & Feedback forum with more details and I would love to hear from you.

xx
    Brooke

The unexpectedly finding out your parents like the same things as you thread:

Discussion in 'the void' started by Ophiel Ophiuci, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Ophiel Ophiuci

Ophiel Ophiuci #1 cunt-kicker-in

I unexpectedly discovered that my mum quite likes "Rather Ripped" by Sonic Youth. I didn't think she would, but she does.

So there.
  2. Manhattan

Manhattan no orgasms in heaven

My mum likes Evanesence. It's odd, the rest of her music is all somewhat "typical," but she's open-minded to new music anyways, so this was only the intro.

My dad loves the blues usually, but he likes Belle & Sebastian and some of the bands that I've gotten into in the past 3 years. And I've gotten into all the bands he was into and his history in the 60's and 70's. He actually played with The Guess Who, snuck into a Deep Purple concert in disguise as a buisiness man and sat in the front row, was at the first performance of The Who's Tommy live, and was at some of the first shows of Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Steppenwolf (Jack & The Sparrows or something before the name change and move to the USA). That was my first real bridge over to what my dad was like.

Lord knows what happened to him. No huge offense or anything. Most people just lose touch in turn for crappy fears and weird morals when they get older.

P.S. I wish I knew more hippies.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  3. Ophiel Ophiuci

Yeah, that's the thing, my mum used to be into music more than my dad, she saw Black Sabbath play on a bandstand in our local park back in the day. But then she either lost interest or just didn't have the time or whatever. Whereas my dad has carried on buying records regularly into his 60s. Unfortunately the bulk of what he buys these days is Sunday Times orientated indie wank.
  4. huggynation

huggynation outlaw representation

at christmas my mum asked if i wanted any DVD's so i said palindromes by todd solondz, thinking she wouldn't really pay any attention to what it was, and she just replied "oh! happiness is one of my favourite films!"

sick and wrong.
  5. En_Ami

En_Ami Banned

HAHA OMG SO DOES MY MOM,

she downloaded it off itunes, freaky. she is totally not the sonic youth type.
  6. Ophiel Ophiuci

It's a horrible moment when you realise that your parents really were your age once, and aren't just androids designed to confuse you. I mean, you kind of accept that they probably were, but it takes something like this to really know that it's true.
  7. herekitty

herekitty Occam's chainsaw

Eh, I found this out when I was very young. My mom took me to my first concert (the Rolling Stones). I used to "borrow" their albums.

P.S. My dad saw black sabbath too. ;)
  8. Wildwoman

Wildwoman Woman Talking to Death

Yeah, there's always been stuff I liked that my parents liked. Not everything, of course, but enough that it wasn't a shock. Of course I'm old. I can remember when my mom was my age, and even much younger. Not Dad, yet, since he's thirteen years older than her, but that's next.
  9. nogginthenog

nogginthenog Dog Rental House

my mum thinks Funeral For A Friend are quite good.
    and she loves Westlife and Daniel O Donnell.
  10. Ophiel Ophiuci

I'm not saying me and my parents have never liked the same stuff (especially music) until now. But I just would've thought that if my mum was into seminal no-wave art-rock it would've come up at some point in the last 23 years.

This isn't just about music, by the way. I'm curious, for example, as to how people feel going clubbing and things with their parents. I've never had this come up, but I've met guys in the bars who took their mum out, and I know it was probably just part of the whole "I'm here, I'm queer, get used to it" bent, but it just seemed like something I could never imagine doing.