1. Welcome to Kittyradio!

Whether this is your first visit to Kittyradio or you're back after a long absence, I hope that these recent updates will encourage you to stick around and help us breathe some life back into this special place. As the site was recently offline for a month, we could really use everyones help to pick up the momentum again. Please take a minute to register, post a new thread, or reply to some of your favorite topics.

With your help, I know we can make Kittyradio better than ever. I have started a thread in the Member Support & Feedback forum with more details and I would love to hear from you.

xx
    Brooke

Sonic Youth/Nirvana Tour Documentary 1991: The Year Punk Broke Finally Coming to DVD

Discussion in 'music & books' started by Jase, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Jase

Jase Administrator

From Pitchfork:

Sonic Youth/Nirvana Tour Documentary Film 1991: The Year Punk Broke Finally Coming to DVD

If you were one of those kids who grew up on alternative rock in the 1990s, there's a very good chance you owned a VHS copy of 1991: The Year Punk Broke, a documentary about Sonic Youth touring Europe back in the days right before alternative rock became the sort of thing your parents asked you about at the dinner table. Nirvana, Sonic Youth's openers on that tour, were all over the movie, and it also featured footage of Dinosaur Jr., the Ramones, Babes in Toyland, and Gumball. Now, Slicing Up Eyeballs reports that the film is finally coming to DVD.

According to director Dave Markey, Universal Music is planning an extended 20th anniversary edition of the movie later this year. It will include a 42-minute film called "(This Is Known As) The Blues Scale", which contains bonus performances from Sonic Youth ("Inhuman", "White Kross", "Orange Rolls/Angel's Spit", and "Eric's Trip") and Nirvana ("In Bloom"). Watch clips from "(This Is Known As) The Blues Scale" here. The DVD will also contain footage of a 2003 panel discussion with Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo, and Steve Shelley, Dinosaur Jr.'s J Mascis, and Markey, as well as more performance material and commentary from Markey and Moore.

Below, check Sonic Youth performing "Schizophrenia" in the movie.

1 person likes this.
  2. Zeke

Zeke BannŠµd

I could never get my hands on a copy before. I'll be picking this up when it's released for sure.
  3. Turning

Turning Might Be A ****

This, word for word. Utterly lovely news! :D
  4. sybsyb

sybsyb el rey

i have the vhs. every couple of years i would check around to see if it god dvdeed. yay now that it will. i love the whole truth or dare spoofing kim does in between performance clips. kim as madonna, j mascis as sandra bernhard. and the killer performance of brother james! krist and dave with the foodstuffs!
    1 person likes this.
  5. bookstore

bookstore world in a jar.

i loved this vhs but dont have a vhs player anymore. so yay for dvd. deffo getting it
  6. wizard

wizard $

i used to rent this from the local video store that no longer exists in town anymore :(

good times.

i love :clove: in the movie.
  7. FreakMagnet

FreakMagnet Fast and Frightening

Had the vhs version for years...definitely going to look for this once it comes out.
  8. Violet Pixie

Violet Pixie *Tea stained*

YYYEEEEESSSS! I've been waiting for years.
  9. Chyia

Chyia shambamalam

Think I still have the vhs if this somewhere. Tho Lord knows what sort of shape it's in by now. Am I the only one who always lolzed @the term "The Year Punk Broke" ?
    I srsly still think that phrase is ironic on a number of levels haha
    Chyia, gonna get the DVD anyway, no doubt
  10. Jase

Jase Administrator

Has anyone had a chance to pick this up and watch it yet?

I bought the DVD earlier this evening, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing the bonus Sonic Youth performances, particularly "Eric's Trip".
  11. bort

bort The brown word

The closest store to me doesn't seem to have it. But the DVD guy reckons they might get it in. In other news, he cheated on his wife with me this one time. Does that mean I have influence? He totally has to get that documentary in.
  12. FreakMagnet

FreakMagnet Fast and Frightening

Ordered it..anticipating it in the mail as we speak.. :good:
    1 person likes this.