1. Welcome to Kittyradio!

Whether this is your first visit to Kittyradio or you're back after a long absence, I hope that these recent updates will encourage you to stick around and help us breathe some life back into this special place. As the site was recently offline for a month, we could really use everyones help to pick up the momentum again. Please take a minute to register, post a new thread, or reply to some of your favorite topics.

With your help, I know we can make Kittyradio better than ever. I have started a thread in the Member Support & Feedback forum with more details and I would love to hear from you.

xx
    Brooke

Save My Soup: Too much thyme

Discussion in 'health & fitness' started by VenusDeMilo, Sep 22, 2011.

1. VenusDeMilo

VenusDeMilo honeyblood

I made a huge pot of soup (like 6 cups of broth in there kind of huge). I gave my boyfriend one task -- add the thyme (it was part of the recipe). I think he added too much, but either way I don't think I like thyme AT ALL. It tastes and smells like mold to me, so I have a lot of trouble eating it. But I just made this gigantic soup. Can anyone think of any way of saving it? Any kind of spice that would over power it? I added 1/3 cup of cheese to my bowl, srirarcha, and cilantro but it's still there. I'm not big on food wasting, but I obviously am retching at the idea of eating moldy tastes.

Currently, I am spooning up the vegetables and squeezing it against the side to get rid of all the broth. I can still taste it but I am try to be a good white person and eat it anyways.

(Anyone on W/W? This is the soup that is worth 1 point, so you can kind of see why I want to make this work)
  2. clotty

clotty pussy panther :)

sounds like you've got too much thyme on your hands.
    1 person likes this.
  3. VenusDeMilo

VenusDeMilo honeyblood

Would it be crazy to strain the entire soup and then add it to some fresh broth??
  4. VenusDeMilo

VenusDeMilo honeyblood

We threw thyme puns around the entire time we made the soup. I think it's necessary.
  5. dirtyplotte

dirtyplotte sassamafras

try cream. whats in the soup
  6. rosaline

rosaline x_x

you should throw the soup in his stupid face for ruining it
    1 person likes this.
  7. cherry_nebula

cherry_nebula needs more mascara.

i would do what you said, strain it then keep adding more broth. at some point it's got to dilute that flavor, right? or if it wasn't super time consuming or expensive, i'd probably just dump it and start over. that is if you really can't handle the taste. or does your BF like it? keep it and let him eat it and then make a new one for yourself in a smaller quantity.
  8. VenusDeMilo

VenusDeMilo honeyblood

No cream adding. It's only purpose is to quench my hunger between lunch and dinner. He likes it, but he's more of a pizza/sandwich/carb eater. He thinks I should just plug my nose and eat it.

The recipe as follows:

2 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced (medium)
    1 medium onion(s), diced
    2 medium carrot(s), diced
    1 medium sweet red pepper(s), diced
    1 stalk(s) celery, diced (medium)
    2 small zucchini, diced
    2 cup(s) green cabbage, shredded
    2 cup(s) Swiss chard, chopped
    2 cup(s) cauliflower, small florets
    2 cup(s) broccoli, small florets
    2 tsp thyme, fresh, chopped
    6 cup(s) vegetable broth
    2 Tbsp parsley, or chives, fresh, chopped
    1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
    1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
    2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, optional
    Instructions
    Put garlic, vegetables, thyme and broth into a large soup pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.

Stir in parsley or chives; season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

I probably won't make it again... I'll try different low point soups.
  9. cherry_nebula

i don't know if you meant points as in weight watchers (you're probs not as dorky as me who is a total ww nerd), but my low ww point soup is the best and i've eaten it for dinner when i run out of the rest of my points earlier in the day.

1 package tofu shirataki noodles, angel hair pasta shaped (only 40 cals for the whole package)
    2 cups chicken broth, or you can use veg broth if you don't do chicken
    1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
    sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds
    chopped green onion

rinse the noodles because if you're sensitive to smells you really won't like the smell of these but i promise the smell goes away when you add them to the broth. i rinse under cold water in a colander for a few minutes then boil the noodles in water in the microwave. then drain. then add the rest of the ingredients. it tastes like top ramen but has like .098% of the fat/calories.
  10. Ronette

Ronette Well-Known Member

I'd just add heaps of curry powder that overpowers everything.
    1 person likes this.
  11. VenusDeMilo

VenusDeMilo honeyblood

I'm going to try curry! Thanks Ronette!

I am actually trying WW right now. If you need a WW buddy just send me a msg ;) Your soup sounds divine, and funny enough I just bought some of those noodles last week, and haven't figured out how to use them yet. When this soup is gone, your soup is on!
  12. Ronette

I did WW for awhile too, are you on propoints or the old system?
    Curry powder saves all, if it tastes like shit, burn your mouth until it no longer tastes like anything :D
  13. cherry_nebula

i'm doing propoints (called points plus in the US). i made lifetime membership on the old plan but i'm loving the new plan now that i know how to work it. i'm only losing about 1/2 a pound a week but i don't even care. as long as it's going down every week.
  14. VenusDeMilo

VenusDeMilo honeyblood

I am doing pointsplus too. I didn't know about all these different systems, I just saw a free startup fee when buying 3 months. How long ago did you two start? Have you taken breaks at all?
  15. Ronette

My doctor told me to stop going until my thyroid shit is sorted cause it was making me too depressed when it didn't work. :(
  16. VenusDeMilo

VenusDeMilo honeyblood

That's too bad. :( I would be depressed if it didn't work too. I hope it works for me.
  17. cherry_nebula

i initially joined in July 2007, lost 20 lbs by March of the next year. then stopped going for another few months and rejoined again in July 2008 to lose another 10 lbs and then made goal/lifetime in Jan 2009. then got pregnant as you know so i didn't go anymore and then rejoined again when the twins were 2 months old and i had 36 lbs to then lose again. but i had a heck of a time losing the weight and there was a whole breastmilk issue and such. 1.5 years later, i've lost 15 of the 36 lbs and really don't even care if i get the entire 36 lbs off. i'd settle for another 12-15 lbs. i'm really good about working out and jogging and all that so i know that i'll probably be able to get the very last 6 or so pounds off just by being in maintenance mode and jogging as much as i do (which is not a lot by olympic standards but is a lot for me, ms. reformed couch potato).

oh and the soup per the tracker (if you have the etools function) said it was zero points because i found chicken broth and the oil and the noodles in the list. i was too lazy to input all the nutritional stats into the online calculator (and one of my twins lost my handheld calculator thingie cause she thought it was a toy). but i suspect if i put the stats into the calculator the soup is probably 2 points.
  18. Ronette

It worked for about 10kgs but then my thyroid goes weird and it stops and I get sad. I am sure you will be fine, it does work though if you are healthy. All my friends lost a lot of weight on propoints. (pointsplus) It makes more sense now that protein isn't some HUGE amount of points.
  19. TattyMae

TattyMae bruised fruit

Did you add fresh thyme or dried? Dried is stronger so maybe you'd like/tolerate fresh more if you used dried.

I would dump it and start again.
  20. SmittenKitten

SmittenKitten ***PURR***

Can you add potato? Sometimes it absorbs spice and salt