1. Welcome to Kittyradio!

Whether this is your first visit to Kittyradio or you're back after a long absence, I hope that these recent updates will encourage you to stick around and help us breathe some life back into this special place. As the site was recently offline for a month, we could really use everyones help to pick up the momentum again. Please take a minute to register, post a new thread, or reply to some of your favorite topics.

With your help, I know we can make Kittyradio better than ever. I have started a thread in the Member Support & Feedback forum with more details and I would love to hear from you.

xx
    Brooke

making a strawberry costume, or dressing up as any kind of plant

Discussion in 'fashion' started by sssh, Jul 9, 2009.

1. sssh

sssh fruit salad

I am going to secret garden party soon and have decided I'd like to be a strawberry. OR, if one of you has a good idea, any kind of plant. I guess I could be a flower fairy, but fairies are a stupid festival cliche, no matter how nice the costumes are, that I'd rather avoid. I had wondered about buying a cheap dress and sewing fake plastic flowers all over it?

Anyway, the main idea at the moment is strawberry, and I'm not sure where to start with my costume. I have no experience with sewing clothes from scratch but am good at customising, altering and making accessories.

My plan so far is to make leaves out of hard felt and wire, and put these onto a hairband at a jaunty angle, like this:

[​IMG]

I also want a little collar, which I think I'll make out of either

1) a big circle, with spikes cut in it, then velcro on the ends
    2) individual leaves sewn together. I think this might work better, but it's more effort.

Like this:

[​IMG]

For the main body of the costume, I want a red dress and am going to sew cutout seeds all over it. However, I'm not sure how to make the dress. Ideas:

1) red vest top with seeds on, red/white/pink net skirt that I'd also have to make.
    2) buy a red dress and sew seeds on, make bottom ragged. but it's unlikely I'd be able to find one plain enough. if i tried to make one i'd be in way out of my depth and it'd look crap, probably.
    3) a dress like this made out of net with another plain dress underneath. red, obv.

[​IMG]

To be more like a strawberry it'd have to be bigger at the top, but I'm vain enough not to want my shoulders to look huge, so I might pass on that level of realism in my costume.

Any hints/tips on how you'd make this? I'm mainly stuck on the body, I don't really know where to start. Mods, I guess you could move this to arts and crafts, I wasn't really sure what to do with it.

If possible use lots of MSPaint pictures in your replies!
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. Abscess

Abscess sth witchy

this kid's costume has elastic threaded around the neck to make it puff out a bit

Strawberry Costume 1

but i'd nick the kid in your pics idea about the netting.

think this pattern's for kids, but you could try to upsize it

Strawberry costume - Patent D527511

you dont really need to puff out, so you could do:
    [​IMG]

or find a long red slip (charity shop) and do lace:

[​IMG]

or sth like this:
    [​IMG]
  3. Abscess

Abscess sth witchy

i'm aware the first two costumes would make you look retarded, so i'd go for something along the lines of a red dress/ or red top/skirt with lace.
  4. clotty

clotty pussy panther :)

well.

going to A SECRET GARDEN PARTY COULD MAKE YOU LOOK RETARDED.

did you notice that those costumes were for babies?
    1 person likes this.
  5. Abscess

Abscess sth witchy

to be honest, i've never heard of secret garden parties, but i was thinking that that is because i'm a square.

then i thought that a Secret Garden Party might be something to do with this book
    My Secret Garden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    that i once read.

i thought SECRET GARDENS were vagina's but i think people come straight out and say CUNT instead of using euphemisms like that anymore.
  6. Abscess

Abscess sth witchy

we had Garden Parties when i was in junior school. those were good because you bought 2nd hand toys and there were stalls where you could buy cheese puffs for 5p a packet and cartons of Vimto. there was a tombola and all that.

sooo...strawberry costumes
  7. clotty

clotty pussy panther :)

welcome to the fashion forum.
  8. odessa

odessa aurora gory alice

my friends dressed up as pumpkins for a law stein we went to...

[​IMG]

i thought they were pretty top notch.
  9. discolexy

discolexy pull me out of the lake

i went to secret garden last year

it was one of the best things i ever did

i wasn't properly prepared for dress up though, but i found this amazing one piece at the festival and it was the best outfit to be on drugs in
    lemme find you some pics. oh it was good times
  10. discolexy

11. discolexy

[​IMG]
    i guess you can;t see the cats ears and glitter. AND DRUGS. you're going to have a brilliant time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    i loved that pink tent. last days.
  12. odessa

odessa aurora gory alice

i really can see the drugs in those last two pics, lex.

and was that lush glitter?
  13. discolexy

yes lush

it was glitterbug
    but the bar melted in the sun so we just pored it on us

and it's basically the first one at the height of everything
    it was immense
    duchess was there
    she'll tell you
    1 person likes this.
  14. SmittenKitten

SmittenKitten ***PURR***

you could wear a green beret or tam
    and a red dress with black polka dots...
  15. Axeman

Axeman New Member

I have seen someone dressed up as grapes.

They had a whole bunch of green (the other had purple) balloons all over their torsos, then a green whatever on their heads.

I am a fan of parties with themes.
  16. fuck a duck

fuck a duck FREE POLANSKI

Ewwww, quick! shoot RAID in its face, Kill it, Kill IT, KILL IT!!! THIS IS JUST WRONG STOMP ON IT KILL IT
    2 people like this.
  17. merri

merri rubber stitcher.

[pic]http://www.fancydresskids.com/images/catalog/8_strawberry.jpg[/pic] this one is the easiest to do and in my opinion, the cutest one.

what i would start with is a red tank top--you can find it at any thrift store if you don't feel like making it. the skirt is relatively easy to make. you need elastic for the band, and a color shiny fabric under neath. literally measure yourself with the fabric with the elastic, snip it off, then measure out the elastic near the top, turn over the hem, and sew that into the skirt, making sure you scrunch it. underneath all you need is a poofy slip which i recommend buying on ebay for about 5 bucks. they're a bitch to make if you just started sewing.

as for the netting, that's a bit of a bitch to sew. i recommend straight shiny fabrics. i.e. satin and would avoid dull basic fabrics i.e. cotton. If you want to snazze it up, you can add white lace (big chunky easy-to-sew lace) to the bottom of it or fabric paint for the seeds, etc.
  18. sssh

sssh fruit salad

Thanks for the advice everyone, I made the costume and went to SGP. I got lots of compliments, I'll have to post a picture when one of my friends puts the good ones of me on facebook.