1. Welcome to Kittyradio!

Whether this is your first visit to Kittyradio or you're back after a long absence, I hope that these recent updates will encourage you to stick around and help us breathe some life back into this special place. As the site was recently offline for a month, we could really use everyones help to pick up the momentum again. Please take a minute to register, post a new thread, or reply to some of your favorite topics.

With your help, I know we can make Kittyradio better than ever. I have started a thread in the Member Support & Feedback forum with more details and I would love to hear from you.

xx
    Brooke

frosting without powdered sugar?

Discussion in 'health & fitness' started by dirtyplotte, Nov 20, 2011.

1. dirtyplotte

dirtyplotte sassamafras

i need a frosting recipe, preferably with maple syrup as the sweetener that does not have powdered sugar. i do not want to buy two pounds of powdered sugar for one silly recipe!

but all of the frosting recipes i can find have powdered sugar at the sweetener.

i dont care if its a glaze or a frosting, but i prefer frosting bc its for a second grade class and kids like the fluffy stuff.

man i hope one of you vegans/ex-vegans has a recipe for me. thanks!
  2. effacer

effacer lollygagger

I think you could make it thick and fluffy if you used cream cheese. Try 8oz of cream cheese, a few tablespoons of butter, start with 2-3 tablespoons of maple syrup and add more if needed.
    There's probably fancy, high dollar, coconut oil, whole foods way to do it too.

oh, found a recipe, Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe - Allrecipes.com
  3. ella luciana

ella luciana under the Ullapool moon

I make a 'seven minute frosting' that is made with what we call caster sugar, but I can never remember what that is in American. Powdered sugar is our icing sugar, right?

1.25 cups sugar
    1/3 cup water
    3 large egg whites
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract

This takes a bit of effort, but is good, like marshmallow frosting.

Put the sugar, water, egg whites and cream of tartar in a heatproof bown or the top of a double boiler. Beat with an electric mixer on hish speed until opaque, white and foamy (about 1 minute). Put the bowl over (not touching) a saucepan of barely simmering water or the bottom of the double boiler. Beat on high speed until the frosting forms a soft peak (isn't it always a soft peak?) that stands up straight if you stop the beaters and life them up (about 7 minutes). The frosting should register 160F on a thermometer (if you're inclined to check that kind of thing). Remove the container from the water, add the extracts and beat for a further couple of minutes to thicken the frosting.

But my count, that should be about ten minutes, so I have no idea why it's called Seven Minute Frosting, but there you go...
  4. TattyMae

TattyMae bruised fruit

I found this one online:

MAPLE SYRUP FROSTING
    1/2 c. milk
    1/2 c. maple syrup
    1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
    1 c. whipping cream
    Whip all together until thick. You may sprinkle crushed nuts on top if desired.

But I think instant pudding is pretty much like powdered sugar -I don't really care for either - so idk if it'll help much.
  5. shadow

shadow not here nor there. yet.

2 cups part skim milk ricotta cheese
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 tablespoons honey or maple syrup

Instructions

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Try on spice cakes, banana or other fruit cakes
  6. dirtyplotte

dirtyplotte sassamafras

its probably crazy, but im going to combine tess and effacers recipe ideas. instead of ricotta, im going to use cream cheese and use maple syrup as my only sweetener. we will see. if it fails, then ill just buy the damned powdered sugar.
  7. VenusDeMilo

VenusDeMilo honeyblood

I used to use equal parts of corn starch and turbinado blended to make vegan powdered sugar.
  8. Sparklelulu

Sparklelulu life enriching

Coconut Cream Frosting
    1 cup coconut milk (canned)
    1 cup agave nectar
    pinch celtic sea salt
    5 teaspoons arrowroot powder
    1 tablespoon water
    1ΒΌ cup coconut oil

In a medium saucepan, heat coconut milk, agave and salt, simmer for 10 minutes
    In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and water to form a smooth paste
    Pour arrowroot mixture into saucepan
    Whisk vigorously to combine, then bring to a boil, briefly, until shiny
    Remove pot from heat and very gradually blend in coconut oil with a hand blender
    Allow pot to cool for 10 minutes
    Place pot in refrigerator for 30-40 45-120 minutes, until frosting solidifies and turns white
    Remove from refrigerator and blend again with a hand blender, until fluffy
    Spread over cake or cupcakes