1. Welcome to Kittyradio!

Whether this is your first visit to Kittyradio or you're back after a long absence, I hope that these recent updates will encourage you to stick around and help us breathe some life back into this special place. As the site was recently offline for a month, we could really use everyones help to pick up the momentum again. Please take a minute to register, post a new thread, or reply to some of your favorite topics.

With your help, I know we can make Kittyradio better than ever. I have started a thread in the Member Support & Feedback forum with more details and I would love to hear from you.

xx
    Brooke

Expiry Dates on Tylenol, Aspirin, etc.

Discussion in 'mental health' started by ThePrude, Nov 18, 2006.

1. ThePrude

ThePrude of which i am one

Does anyone know how long after the "expiry date" it's still safe to take Tylenol and Aspirin? Is it ever unsafe, or does the effectiveness of the drug just decrease over time?

(I tried to Google this, but all I got were ads to sell me cheap drugs).
  2. lucy

lucy watching you watching me.

i tried googling it too, and the results are mixed. some say it doesn't matter, some say to toss it out.

however the problem seems to be simply that it's less effective, so there would be no harm in trying.

from the official aspirin website:

Can I still use AspirinĀ® after the expiration date?

No, it is not recommended to use any over-the-counter product beyond the labeled expiration date. Like all drugs, AspirinĀ® can deteriorate over time and not be as effective. Be sure to check the package for the expiration date.

Read the package insert and directions for use before using AspirinĀ®. For further information on benefits, risks and side effects please consult your physician or pharmacist!

http://www.aspirin.com/faq_en.html#ank9
    1 person likes this.
  3. ThePrude

thanks...I guess I'm a google-tard. :eek:
  4. ThePrude

I guess the Bayer site would probably recommend tossing it out in order to promote higher sales.
  5. lucy

yes, definately. for something non-critical like aspirin/tylenol/whatever, i would ignore the expiration dates. if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. worth the try.
  6. spitatrix

spitatrix New Member

The main thing is that the packaging starts to degrade..
  7. renegade_princess

renegade_princess don't say no to disco

don't take out of date medicines.

they can break down and start turning into other compounds, which can be dangerous or give nasty side effects (and no longer do what they are supposed to at all).

also some drugs have anti bacteria agents added. after these go out of date bacteria can start growing

I don't know if this is true for paracetamol or asprin. but to me, what's the point? you can get generic versions very cheap, why not buy one that's effective and safe rather than one that might not work?

I know with antibiotics or anything prescription it could potentially be a very bad idea.
  8. ThePrude

In those links lucy provided, I read something about Aspirin slowly breaking down from acetylsalicylic acid acid to salicylic acid, which is hard on the digestive tract lining. It also said that Bayer has never tested its effectiveness past 4 years after manufacture.

Didn't find much on Tylenol though. I have a huge vat of it that expired March 2006...I think I'll hang onto it for at least another year. (Maybe its not a good idea to buy this stuff in bulk from Costco :D )
  9. phoenix rose

phoenix rose irreplaceable

its too hard to know which drugs get ineffective and which get dangerous
    though i do agree that aspirin will be a bad idea to take if old becuase of the salicylates which it contains
    its not worth ruining your health over
    they all are potentially harmful to your health in unexpired form so i wouldn't fuck around w/ any old meds that you need to ingest
    i mean if its like hydrocortizone (sp?) cream or some other topical thing it may not be such a big deal but if you are going to swallow some meds find a way to get some that aren't old
    how old are the meds you have btw?
    i mean if it says like oct 2006 it doesn't exactly go bad overnight but how old are we talking about here when we say old?
  10. phoenix rose

oh sorry
    missed that
    i would toss that
    tylenol can be hard on your liver
    old tylenol sounds like a bad idea
    yes costco bulk meds sounds not like its not working out for you if you have tons left over
  11. lucy

hmmm. i'm starting to appreciate the fact that you can't get aspirin/paracetamol/whatever in bulk here. i think it's actually illegal to sell someone more than one pack (20 x 500mg paracetamol) at a time. i mean, you could just go back and buy another, but... you know... why? if 20 pills doesn't last you a long time, then you're using too much.

edit: i checked. you can only get more than 20 at a time if you have a prescription. which is GOOD. otc painkillers are nasty. people eat them like candy. blah.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  12. Cpt_squints

Cpt_squints New Member

Hi, thought I'd settle the mental anguish. I took an aspirin 30 minutes ago that was probably 2 years out of date. Soon after, I felt a NASTY pain in my engine room. Now, I sit upon the throne, in agony, warning you all! My derier is tattered and sore and my head hurts more than it did before! I found this forum trying to find out if i'm going to die.

DO NOT EAT OUT-OF-DATE ASPIRIN!!!

It'll melt everything from your stomach to your arse ^_^

Peace out x
  13. debaser

debaser suicide pact - you first

my doctor said it just usaully loses it's effectivness but you can extend it's life for a short period fromthe recommended expiry.
    i've taken pills that were a year old.
  14. phoenix rose

its such a gamble
    how long did you take that to mean though?
    a short period i would consider to be maybe a month or two?
  15. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

i'll tell you whats past its expiration date. THIS THREAD. its two years old. nice first and only post, squints.